Les Dames d'Escoffier - Houston Chapter
The Houston chapter of LDEI, chartered in 1994, presently has 46 members who actively support programming related to culinary education and philanthropy in the area.
Les Dames d'Escoffier - Houston ®
- chefs, restaurateurs, caterers, retailers, event planners
- cookbook authors, food journalists and historians
- winemakers and wine industry professionals,food publicists
- culinary educators and hospitality executives.
- To further the knowledge, understanding, and appreciation of food, wine, and the arts of the table in the tradition of August Escoffier.
- To promote the education and advancement of, and to offer advice and assistance to, fellow members and women in careers related to food, wine, and hospitality, and disseminate such information as advances the purposes and interests of the Chapter.
- To raise and disburse funds for professional food, wine, and hospitality scholarship funds and other worthy projects.
- To promote high standards in the supply, preparation, and service of food and wine.
- To maintain affiliation with Les Dames d’Escoffier International and to respect of its code of ethics.
Les Dames d'Escoffier was founded in New York in 1973 by Carol Brock. At the time there were few opportunities for women in the culinary arts and there were no prominent women chefs or sommeliers. Brock saw a need to create an organization of professional leading women in the industry who would serve as role models and mentors. From its inception, the organization has been a membership-by-invitation, philanthropic organization that has provided education, networking opportunities and scholarship support.
LDEI has now grown to more than 1400 members and 28 chapters, our newest in England. While the career opportunities have greatly improved over the last 40 years the industry continues to be a challenging one for women to gain recognition in. The organization continues to provide support to women through scholarships, programs, externships and networking.
For more information about the history of Les Dames d'Escoffier International visit www.ldei.org.